Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Dark Days and Nights

Now that the load shedding has stopped we thought out problems with electricity were ended for a while. Not so.
On Monday afternoon, on arriving home with my folks, Vera and Rachel, after a hectic shopping trip, we found the gates to our place not working properly. On investigation I found that the electricity had been cut off resulting in the gates being stuck on a loop as the battery ran down.
What a problem.
When I got into the house I found a note from the municipality saying that the power had been cut off due to the property being vacant.
My heart sank. With just over two weeks to go before Evangeline is born, and so much to do, I really didn't need that complication in my life.
I felt awful, couldn't even make coffee for the weary shoppers.
Today after two days of darkness and bumbling around in the night the power was finally switched back on.
It seems there was a mix up of some sort between the old tenants, the owner of the property and the new tenant. No one had given the correct information to the new guy so he was just as shocked by the situation as we were.
We pay for our power and water as part of our rent every month and so far have still not received a copy of our lease which was promised to us almost three years ago so we couldn't even go an have it reconnected ourselves.
I'm just glad that it is alright now, but the whole affair has left me feeling a little shell shocked. Henrik and I might find ourselves having to find somewhere else to stay rather sooner than we planned. With a little one life will be harder and we will not be able to just grin and bear it when these types of things happen. The owner of the property says she wants us to pay a huge amount of extra rental and while we have been expecting to have an annual increase the amount she is talking about is way beyond what we will be prepared to pay, especially when considering the sate of the place. The roof leaks, the water supply is intermittent at best, and there are all sorts of other little things which we have been promised would be sorted but haven't been up till now.
Quite a stress, but I am trying not to let it get to me.

No comments: